Why Parallel Computing?
- In order to improve program performance, we now need to program multi-core machines.
- We want to solve larger and larger problems.
- Single-core machines will be increasingly rare.
Parallel Programming Applications
- Simulation: The Third Pillar of Science
- Weather Modeling
- Energy Research
- Earthquake Simulation
- Computational Chemistry
- Data Analysis
- Processor Design
- Concurrent computing
- Parallel computing
- Distributed computing
What we'll be doing
- Learning to write explicitly parallel programs.
- Analyzing parallel algorithms.
- Using the C or C++ programming language.
- Using the following libraries/extensions:
- Posix threads (pthreads)
- Message-Passing Interface (MPI)
Copyright © 2018 Ian Finlayson | Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.